Couldn't make our Legislative Virtual Town Hall? No worries, we recognize how busy life can be, so we make them available on your schedule.
Legislative Virtual Town Halls:
Join us as Chair Bileca gives us a preview of what is coming down the pipe.
*Fewer Better Tests (HB 773 , HB549, SB926)
*Charter Capital Outlay
*High Impact Charter Schools (Schools of Hope)
*Best and Brightest
Session wrap-up with Senate President Don Gaetz
A great summary of our recent legislative town hall session by Florida Senator Don Gaetz.
FCSBM provides its members with unprecedented access to policy makers and we "bring Tallahassee to you". Our members asked and he delivered.
-What did he say about the future of the testing flexibility legislation known as the "Sunshine Solution"?
- Was he satisfied with his "child", the CAPE program?
- What would he do about Pres. Obama's policy on locker rooms?
-What did he describe as a "Perfect Storm" on the horizon for education policy makers?
During Session Legislative Town Halls:
1, Rep. Erik Fresen- Chair of FL House Ed. Appropriations Committee discusses "Best and Brightest" legislation, school choice bill tightening restrictions on Public Charter Schools, and the importance of the FCSBM raising its voice in Tallahassee. Listen here Chair Fresen's Bio- http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4461&LegislativeTermId=86 Recorded: January 11, 2016 at 11:00 AM
2. Sen. Don Gaetz- Past Pres. of FL Senate, former School Board Member and Superintendent of Schools discusses SB1360 which would allow districts to use name brand assessments such as ACT/ SAT and CLEP/ DSST/ CAPE to meet state standardized testing requirements. He also discusses the Membership Association Bill and Athletic Choice Bill. Arguably the most influential voice in education policy in Tallahassee weighs in on the top issues of the 2016 session. Listen here. About Pres. Gaetz - https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s1 Recorded: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 06:30 PM
3. Rep. Matt Caldwell of Lee County explains his somewhat controversial Bill (HJR 539) which would move forward a Constitutional Amendment making the state one school district and allow for partisan or non-partisan elected or appointed school boards at the municipal level. He lays out some compelling arguments to "critics" of the bill and examples of how this would improve student performance and local control. Listen Here. (Upload Pending- Member Area) Rep. Caldwell's Bio: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4513&LegislativeTermId=86 Recorded: January 28, 2016
4. Sen. Lizabeth Benacquisto joined us to discuss Universal Public School Choice, Suicide Awareness,
- S 1018 Instructional Materials for K-12 Public Education
- S 0886 Parent and Student Rights
- S 0884 Youth Suicide Awareness and Prevention
And other education issues as she sits on The Senate Pre-K- 12 Education Committee and is truly a leader in education policy in Florida. Read More about Sen Benacquisto here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s30
Recorded: Thursday, February 04, 2016 at 05:00 PM LISTEN to Archive on YouTube
5. Rep. Manny Diaz Jr. - Wednesday morning, February 17th at 11:30AM FCSBM hosted our fifth Legislative Virtual Town Hall, with Choice and Innovation Chair Rep. Manny Diaz Jr. as our honored guest to discuss his somewhat controversial HB 873 addressing capital expenditures and Charter Capital outlay, among other education topics.
joined FCSBM members to discuss:
- HB 873 Education Funding
- HB 287 Principal Autonomy Program
- HB 4013 Blending Learning Courses
- HB 189 Teacher Certification (Alternatives)
For Chair Diaz's Bio click here.
Recorded: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM LISTEN to archived audio on YouTube
6. Rep. Chris Sprowls - FCSBM hosted our sixth Legislative Virtual Town Hall, and were excited to have as our honored guest Rep. Chris Sprowls to discuss his somewhat controversial HB 669 Universal Public School Choice / Parent and Student Rights, among other topics.
He will join FCSBM members to discuss:
CS/CS/CS/HB 669 Educational Choice
- HB 287 Principal Autonomy Program
- HB 1365 Competency Based Education
- HB 7021 Reading Instruction (co-sponsor)
And other education issues as he sits on House k=12 Education Committee and is truly a leader in education policy in Florida.
Recorded February 24, 2016 LISTEN to archived audio on YouTube