The FCSBM Legislative Task Force (LTF) has approved the following positions and priorities for the 2016 Legislative session, after a three day comment period by the voting members, it was unanimously ratified by the executive board October 27, 2015.
The 2016 platform can be characterized under three main themes:
1. Flexible Accountability; 2. Equality; and 3. Freedom of Choice
Select 2016 Legislative Positions & Proposals
Assessment and Accountability -
- Allow flexibility for Districts to use concordance scores on nationally normed assessments, including those offered with paper and pencil, to meet the statutory requirements of FSA.
- Progressively raise Florida’s proficiency “cut scores” to align with, and surpass, the NAEP standard over a 4-year period. This allows years 1 & 2 to provide a “soft landing” as we transition to even higher levels of expectation.
- Continue use of standardized test scores, including growth rates, as part of a revamped multi-factor accountability system, to include a “balanced scorecard” approach with transparent metrics outlining each aspect of the school and district grading system.
- Public Charter Capital Outlay Incentive - Districts that voluntarily and equitably, on a per-student basis, share capital outlay resources with public charter schools may levy up to 1.75 millage (vs 1.5 millage currently allowed).
- Relating to Membership Organizations that Receive Public Funds - FCSBM believes that individual School Board Members should determine the organization, if any, to which their membership dollars flow. Repeat of HB 549 (2015) - Sponsors pending.
If you are a sitting School Board Member interested in volunteering for the Legislative Task Force in the coming year, please email Shawn Frost at email@example.com